Friday, October 8, 2010

Canucksgiving

This Sunday we celebrate Canadian Thanksgiving or my group of friends has taken to calling it Canucksgiving (in contrast to Yanksgiving or American Thanksgiving which we also celebrate).

If asked Canadian's will tell you that their thanksgiving is in October as their harvest is earlier.  This sounds sensical (apparently this isn't a word, but I don't care), but really it isn't.  Trust me the harvest is over in Wisconsin before November.  I imagine this is true of New England as well.  In relativity, I think it probably has more to do with want to appear to not be copying The States (that is what Canadians call America).

My contribution to Canucksgiving (we do it potluck style and split the turkey cost) will be dinner rolls.  I like buns and I find they are often overlooked in gatherings of graduate students.  I've been scouring the internet for recipes that look tasty, but are not ridiculous.  I think I found a candidate at the Canadian Living page for pull-apart dinner rolls.  I'll let you know how it goes.

ADDED: I used a roll recipe presented in two parts at Canadian Living (I've linked to both).  It turned out great.  Nice professional looking buns.  A touch dry, but not bad.
Precooked obviously

No comments:

Post a Comment