Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Cooking Korean: Ojingeochae muchim (spicy squid)

When I was traveling back from England I stopped at Yo!Sushi.  It is a fun little place where the sushi goes about on the conveyer and you pick the plates you want.  Different colors mean different prices.  One of the dishes I chose was spicy squid.  I love squid, so it was worth a try.  It was delicious bright reddish orange squid on a plate of greens.  Very very good . . . and the most expensive plate I got, but worth it.  It was definitely not a particularly cheap airport lunch.
it looks fun right?
Randomly I was looking at recipes before going shopping (I had no food in the house due to traveling so much lately).  I found a recipe for Ojingeochae muchim (spicy squid) at Maangchi's site that looked a lot like what I ate.  Click on the link to go to the site and watch the video if your inclined.   This recipe involves stirring the ingredients and that is all.  It doesn't get easier.  I halved the recipe as I didn't know if I'd like anything made with dried squid or not . . . half makes quite a lot.

Ninja got stuck in the squid . . .
Overall, I really like it.  It was super easy to make and apparently keeps in the fridge for 1 month.  It was very very spicy, which I like.  You may want to use caution though.  If you have any inclinaiton toward squid I would suggest it.

1 comment:

  1. That's right. It lasts long if you keep in the fridge! I should make this side dish soon, too. yummy!

    ReplyDelete