Sunday, November 28, 2010

Panfried Tofu: Dubu buchim yangnyumjang and dubu ganjang jorim!

I did some more Korean cooking today.  I have been trying (and failing) to make delicious tofu for awhile now.  It is a good source of protein, I just didn't really know how to use it.  This may surprise you, but it isn't a super common ingredient in the Midwest where I grew up.  I noticed that Maangchi had two recipes (utilizing 1 block of tofu) over at her site and have been meaning to try it ever since (please follow my link to the recipe).  Today I did.
1 block of tofu cut into 20 pieces
Panfried is part of the title . . .
First, I made the spicy Dubu buckim yangnyumjang first (I think I will refer to it as spicy tofu as the Korean is a bit of a mouth full!) I made this one completely as instructed.  I did have a really large green onion though . . .
Sauce ingredients . . .

Mixed up it looks delicious!
All done!
Happy skeleton says "Yum"
Next, I made the sweet dubu ganjang jorim (sweet tofu, once again the Korean is a bit of a mouthful!).  I was out of corn syrup (which I realized while cooking), so I used golden syrup instead.  I don't think this effected anything much . . .
Caramelizing the sweet sauce . . . 
All done!
Happy Skeleton say "Yum"
I loved both dishes but the spicy dubu buckim yangnyumjang was my favorite.  Good enough to be made again and again!  I'm very happy I finally found a tofu recipe that I find satisfying!

Thanks Maangchi!
 ~I recommend trying anything she makes! (watch the cute video)

No comments:

Post a Comment