Saturday, November 6, 2010

Three Classic Children's Stories

Recently I got the book Three Classic Children's Stories ~ Drawings by Edward Gorey and Text by James Donnelly to review (I got his from my participation at LibraryThing.com).  The book is published by Pomegranate Kids, who sent the book as a review book.  It also came with an awesome bonus bookmark!

Story - The stories are Little Red Riding Hood, Jack the Giant-Killer and Rumpelstiltskin.  The stories are all very fun retelling of the original stories.  Not to dark for young readers, but off kilter enough to be interesting to adults too.  The pictures by Gorey (one of my favorites) really make the stories.  The pictures are colored in which I found a touch disappointing as I actually prefer his plain black and white work.  All in all the stories and pictures here are great fairy tales and well worth reading.

Book - The actual book is really exceptional.  Its a small hardcover book with a dust jacket and printed cover.  The pages are thick (I imagine durable as well) and the binding is sewn so the pages should not come out easily.  So, what I am saying is that is is a very good quality book.  The type that is great for a gift.  I got a catalog with my book and they appear to make a bunch of products that would be great for gifts.

Overall, this is a great little book.  Perfect for children of good taste, fairy tale collectors, or lovers of Edward Gorey!

No comments:

Post a Comment