Sunday, November 7, 2010

Uhmook bokkeum ~ Stir Fried Fish Cakes

I have been experimenting with Korean food again!  I've been on a spicy kick I guess.  Once again I used a recipe I found at Maangchi.com.  Tonight we make Uhmook bokkeum or Stir fried Fish Cakes.  If you click on the link you can see the recipe.  I did change it a bit.

First, I used Fish Cakes that were a mix of fish and pork.  Why? Because I really like pork and only kind of like fish.  Unfortunately I was also out of green onions. :( so I added more garlic :) this seemed to work.  I also excluded the green chili peppers as I don't like them.  I did use the corn syrup and extra chili paste.

In the end what I made looks a lot like Maangchi's pictures. \(^_^)/
The color is best in this one!
Here you can see there is a nice sticky sauce!

As what I made had absolutely no veggies in it, I also made cucumber salad.  I didn't have time to pickle anything so I went with a mayo and vinegar based salad I found at Allrecipes.com, the Creamed Cucumber Slices by GEEKSWIFE1. The recipe is as follows :

Ingredients:
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
1 large cucumber, sliced
salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
1. In a bowl, mix the mayonnaise, milk, sugar, and vinegar until smooth. Place cucumber slices in the bowl, and toss to coat with the dressing. Season with salt and pepper. Chill 30 minutes in the refrigerator before serving.
Once again I did change the recipe a bit. First I used Japanese mayo and a whole tsp of vinegar (and I used sushi vinegar . . . its what I had on hand).  This means my was a bit zippier than what is written here.  I also used way less milk (just put in a splash at a time till it looks good).  The rest I did the same.
The Japanese mayo makes it!
As you can see I made a 1/2 batch . . . I used the other 1/2 a cucumber for sushi earlier this weekend . . .
So, I made myself up some brown rice and had dinner.  Uhmook Bokkeum, rice, and Creamed Cucumber Slices.  All parts were delicious!  I really liked the Uhmook Bokkeum and will probably make it again, though I think Thai Eggplant will still be my go to dish.  I would make the Creamed Cucumber if I had a cucumber laying around as it was pretty good as well.
Yum!
Close up of Uhmook bokkeum!
I also made myself a bento for tomorrow! I'm sure both will be even better tomorrow after they've had a change to settle.
Clickety Click Monkey approved!

Experiment success!

No comments:

Post a Comment