Thursday, February 24, 2011

Cooking Korean: Jjajangmyun (black bean noodles)

I've been cooking Korean again.  I made Jjajangmyun (black bean noodles).  I love noodles, but haven't been eating them much lately, so this seemed like a good recipe to try.  Once again the recipes can be found at Maangchi.com.  Like always the video is helpful!  Plus, the music is very fun for this one . . . I love The Clash!

Jjajangmyun from Maangchi on Vimeo.

I followed the recipe very closely, but I did use a different brand of black bean sauce and a daikon instead of a Korean radish (which I couldn't find).  Plus, I added some leftover shitake mushrooms I had.  I did find Korean noodles though! However, I decided to use the buckwheat variety.
Root veg and crispy pork belly!

Everything delicious cooking away!

Yummy fresh pasta!

The past gives me permission to add stuff to the pasta ie radish juice . . .

Sauce all done (I may have made it a bit thick . . .)

Look at that delicious pasta!

I cut everything at the start and put it in different bowls.  I think cooked the black bean paste at the same time that I stir fried the pork belly.  I also made sure it was very well cooked as I like it very crispy. I then added the root veg.  Cooked that for 3 minutes and then added the other veg and fired for 3 more minutes.   I followed the direction for the rest, but I didn't add the sugar as it was already pretty sweet (the bought paste or extra sweet sweet potatoes I don't know).

Lunch! Ninja Optional.

In the end, it turned out good.  The veggies are super soft and the pork belly super crisp.  It did turn out a bit salty though . . . I think its the black bean paste I bought.  I would use a different type next time, but I'm still pretty happy with it.  Yum!

2 comments: