Sunday, March 6, 2011

Now In 3D!

You may have noticed the trend for 3D movies recently.  I'm not really sure why there is such a push for it other than they get to charge a lot for it . . . and the kids seem to think its neat.  I don't think I've watched one thing in 3D that made the movie more enjoyable for me.  Sure it didn't hurt the movie . . . but is it really necissary?

Filmmakers seem to think so.  Alice in Wonderland did have some interesting 3D effects, but was it worth 3 dollars more?  I don't know.

I also saw How To Train Your Dragon in 3D.  It was kind of fun to have 3D flying, but it still wasn't fully integrated into the whole movie. Nobody really seems to know what to do with the extra dimension!  It was my understanding that 3D was for the big opening and the like, but apparently not.

Recently, I went to watch Tangled* at the budget cinema in town.  I love $3.50 movies!  But, it was playing in 3D, so it was $6.50.  Now this is still way cheaper than seeing a first run movie, but I felt a bit taken advantage of.  I mean they didn't say on the internet that I was seeing it in 3D and therefore paying $3 for that extra dimension.  Personally, I don't think the 3 dimension is worth anything close to that much more.

It is possible that part of my lack of enthusiasm for 3D is that my eyes don't really care for the effect . . . even the fancy new digital kind.  My eyes sometime kind of snap between 2D and 3D in a disconcerting fashion.  I have some focus issues with my eyes, so I'm never sure if other people experience this problem (don't worry I still see in 3D without the glasses when I drive and stuff).  Overall, I hope 3D is just a fad . . . or they fix it . . . or they learn to utilize the extra dimension properly.  Wasting a whole dimension seems bad.

*Tangled Review - I just wanted to say that Tangled was surprisingly good.  Kind of an old school Disney musical with some modern attitude put in.  Zachary Levi is a surprisingly good singer and his voice went great with Mandy Moores.  His character Flynn was also pretty fun . . . better than most Disney heroes.  He is a bit Aladdin, but if Aladdin wasn't so boring. Maximus (the horse) really made the movie.  He was just great.  Rapunzel was good.  They had her being pretty believable.  I could listen to Donna Murphy (playing the witch) all day.  She just has a great voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment