Sunday, June 13, 2010

Okonomiyaki!

I love Okonomiyaki, which tends to be translated as Japanese pizza.  It's really not like pizza other than you can put lots of different toppings on it.  You can make your own batter or you can use a pre-made mix.  Tonight I used a pre-made mix.  I've used it before and I like it.  If your in Edmonton you can get it at the T&T.

Look at all the cool stuff you get!
The mix comes with the four mix, yam powder (that makes it thicken up), some tempura crunches, and two packets of nori.  When I make my own I can't get the yam powder, so I substitute corn starch.

Okonomiyaki Batter Recipe
2 eggs
1 tsp flour
2 1/2 tbs cornstarch
1/3 tbs milk
140 grams cabbage

This will make a single one.  You can mix in whatever you want.  Same goes for when you make a mix.  The same cooking settings I used for the mix will work if you make your own. When you use the mix you get this cute set of instructions.

Handy english instructions, with pictures!

The instructions are in Japanese and English so that's helpful.  First you cut up your cabbage and any veggies etc.  You want.  Green onions are suggested by the package and do taste yummy.  For this time through I cut up spam, zuchinni, green onions, and a bit of cheese to add to my cabbage.  Its important to cut the cabbage in thin strips or squares if you want it to hold together (2-4 mm by 2-3 cm).

lots of junk in a bowl
Here you have my bowl of ingredients ready to go.  Looks good already.  Then you make up the batter.  First, you dissolve the yam powder into the water (if your making your own mix the cornstarch into the water first).

Yam powder - Yum!


Then mix in the batter mix.

Batter - looks like batter


Then mix in the two eggs and dump it on your ingredients.  Stir it really well with a big spoon.  The mix makes two Okonomiyaki (you can share or keep one for tomorrow . . . I actually usually get three meals out of one mix).

Battered veggies/spam
Now heat up an electric frying pan that has been lightly greased to 350F.  The mix directions suggest 400F, but that always results in burning for me.  So I turn down the heat a bit and let it cook a bit longer.

Giant Spatula of Doom!
You'll note the giant spatula, which is really essential.  If you don't have a giant spatula you'll need to use two spatulas and two hands to flip your okonomiyaki.  It's hard to do without losing some, but you can do it.  Next you need to dump in your batter/cabbage mix.

Fry!
Here we have it in the pan.  Now if you were going more traditional you would put a few strips of pork belly or bacon on the top right now (if you do that put the cover on the frying pan).  Let it cook for 3 minutes. Flip!  Cook 5 minutes.  Flip!  Cook 2 minutes and make sure the middle is done.  Also, its going to be puffy.  This is normal, don't squish it!

too much frying . . .
I didn't pay quite enough attention this time and got a few burnt bits as a result.  No problem I like it crunchy anyway.  Next, you need to dress it up.  I go for the traditional way with Bulldog Sauce and Kewpie mayonnaise for my sauces.

The best part is the toppings!
I don't have too much trouble finding them.  Next, sprinkle on the nori and the bonito flakes.

You can get three good sized okonomiyaki out of each package.
The bonito flakes will wave from the heat.  Its both creepy and fun!  In the end its a delicious and pretty fast meal.  Highly recommended.




















































No comments:

Post a Comment