Monday, November 8, 2010

Buttermilk pie . . . really

So, I got gifted some buttermilk.  Normally I would just make some biscuits.  However, there were extenuating circumstances this time and I had to many meals already in the works to make biscuits that didn't go with anything else I was making.  The internet search began.  I find that the internet really is the best place for recipes.  Most of the time I try something off of an individual's blog as they tend to be more interesting recipes, but today I went to Allrecipes.com and did the ingredient search.  I found Buttermilk Pie I submited by Glenda.  It had good reviews and the results looked like yummy custard.  The basic recipe calls for the following:

 
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch single crust
pie
1 1/4 cups white sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups buttermilk
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup butter

1. Mix sugar and flour. Add buttermilk, beaten eggs, vanilla. Melt the butter over low heat. Add to buttermilk mixture and mix well.
2. Pour into pie crust and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 - 40 minutes.
 I did not have nor did I want to go get a pie crust so I went crust-less (a quick perusal of the internet showed that that should still work). I also added a bunch of cinnamon and nutmeg for flavor.  The original recipe suggests topping with fruit, but I don't go for that - hence the spice!

The result was this -
Soft with a chewy edge!
It tastes like a nice tangy and spicy custard.  Pleasant, but not heavy.  In the end I wouldn't go out and buy buttermilk to make this, but if I happened to have buttermilk I might try again.  I might use my glutenous rice flour as well to see if it makes for good mochi!

No comments:

Post a Comment