Monday, November 15, 2010

Cadbury: Magical Elves

I went to a candy shop recently.  It was a great shop called Carol's Quality Sweets on Jasper.  They have a wide variety of sweets.  They seem to focus on old fashioned hard to get candies and interesting imports.  Like I said it has a great selection, but is a bit traditional.  For a kind of kooky candy experience I suggest Coney Island Sweets on Whyte.

Enough about candy stores.  While at Carol's Quality Sweets I noticed a small basket of Cadbury Magical Elves Popping Candy, which came in a variety of types (I wasn't sure if they were flavors or not). The fine print said they were magical popping chocolates.  Having eaten my share of candy in my life I assume that this magic involved pop rocks . . .
Magic!
I decided to try two to determine if flavors were involved or not.  So I picked Quartz and Amethyst.  As you can see they have different elves on the wrapper.  So, I opened them up to find traditional molded chocolates, much like a Christmas chocolate, though these elves do not appear to be Christmas themed.
Quartz Elf with magic speckles . . .

No noticeable difference in appearance . . .

You can almost see sparkles in them . . . though it is difficult even when they are cracked in half.
the whiter bit is actually a pop rock . . .

I ate Quartz first.  He was alright.  Generic chocolate flavor with lots of pop rock action.  He was kind of boring and i didn't notice a flavor.  So, next I sent for Amethyst . . . and it was better.  Better chocolate taste more pop rock action.  No flavor difference that I could detect the chocolate just seemed to taste better.

In the end I'm not sure pop rock chocolate is necessary.  It was kind of fun and I'm sure kids would really love it . . . or adults who love pop rocks.  I will say the pop rock action lasted long after I completed eating the chocolate.  If you fine these in your local candy shop it might be interesting to try, but not crucially necessary.

You can play Magical Elves games on the UK website for the site.  Just click here to be directed . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment