Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Blood Pudding and Spinach, Feta, and Barley Salad

Tonight I struck out on my own to make dinner.  I felt like doing something that had a bit of a Greek flare as I loved how bright the food tasted there (mainly due to the lemon).  I've never made barley before.  But, I've been served it as a salad by others and really enjoyed it so gave it a try.  I paired it with some blood pudding (one of my favorite things) that I saw in the grocery store today and thought might go well with it.  If you've never had blood pudding, it is lighter than you might think.  It has a nice soft texture that I thought would go well with the chewier barley.  Since it is made with blood it also has a really rich earth flavor (from the iron I imagine).

Spinach, Feta, and Barley Salad
  • 1 bunch spinach (coarse chop)
  • 1 onion (chopped)
  • 3 cloves garlic (chopped)
  • 1 cup barley
  • 2 cup beef broth, + variable amount of water
  • 1/4 cup feta
  • 1 lemon
  • salt, pepper, and lots of dill (fresh if you have it)
Put about 1 tsp of olive oil in the pan and cook the onions until translucent.  Add garlic and saute about 1 minute. Add the spinach and cook until its all wilted.  Then add 2 cups of broth and a cup of water to start with the barley and the seasoning (not the lemon or feta).  Bring the mix up to a boil then turn it down to a high simmer and leave it.  I used pearl barley so it needs to be cooked about 45 minutes.  You need to check on it every 10 minutes or so and stir the barley and add a bit more water if it boiled off.  Don't add too much at the end.  Your making salad not soup.  When the salad has about 10 minutes left cut and fry the blood sausage.  When the barley is cooked through (soft) take it off the head and put in the juice of one lemon in.  let it sit a bit then add the feta.

Barley is cooking away . . .

Frying up the Blood pudding

All cooked up and ready to serve!

Salad and pudding all served up!

Doesn't it look yummy!
This meal turned out to be one my favorite recipes.  The salad had a great taste to it.  Not hot spicy, but full of flavor.  The blood pudding really complemented it.  A great meal and super simple to make.  It took about an hour total to make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment