Thursday, January 13, 2011

Book Challenge Update: Whats in a name challenge (Evil) - Soulless

I've read my first book for the whats in a name challenge (Evil): Soulless by Gail Carriger.  This Carriger's first book ever and the first in the Parasol Protectorate series.  If you want to buy it you can get it at amazon for a reasonable price.  I believe a book called Soulless qualifies fully in the evil category particularly as the main character is, in fact, lacking a soul . . . and consorts with vampires and werewolves.  The author also appears a bit eccentric, which I can relate too.
Gail Carriger
I wasn't really sure what to expect.  I got the book as my librarything.com recommendation thing said I would like it.  I read the description and agreed, so here we are.  I must say it was more of a romance than i was expecting (nor due I normal read romances), but the fantasy/steam punk elements were suitable well done that it didn't bother me.  Also, I found I cared quite a bit about Alexia (our soulless heroine) right off the bat, which made me invested in all aspects of the plot even the romance.  So, lets break down why you should read the book (and you should . . . if you like supernatural stuff that isn't horror).

Style - the book was exceptionally well written.  It did not scream first book!  Like many do.  The book holds a humorous Victorian with a modern edged tone throughout.  I've read many a book set in this era and not written in it and Carriger pulls it off better than most.  The humor is refreshingly honest in its delivery and in fitting with the characters.  The style really makes the book with its stiffly delivered Victorian quips.
Fashionable Parasol (to buy go to Designs by Victoria at Artfire.com)

Plot - the plot is not overly complex.  It is mostly a good adventure story with a nice bit of romance in it.  Nothing deep, but absolutely fun.  The plot does, however, completely fit the characters.
Look at all that neat stuff! (visit the Museum of Victorian Science)
Characters - all the characters are finely written.  They have personality and substance, which is great.  They also have interesting dialogue, which is a must for me.  The mix of flashy alphas and scientific reasoning really made for an interesting read.  I loved the main characters, but I am quite taken with Professor Lyall.  The characters really stand out as exceptionally well written in this book.

Overall - I would definitely recommend this book.  Its silly and fun and just an all around good read.  Imagine many who like Jane Austen will also like this (if they aren't too stuffy).  Like I mentioned it is the style that really pulled me in.  It is just interesting to read.  And the characters will make sure I don't get bored and find something else to do with my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment