Sunday, February 13, 2011

Bake Sale! Daifuku and Cookies

I needed to do some baking for a Valentine's Day Bake Sale. I decided I would make some Peanut butter and coconut daifuku.  I knew a double batch of the recipe I like to use would give me 12 of each type.  I also remembered a jar of sauerkraut in the fridge and vaguely recalled eating sauerkraut cooking when I was a kid . . . so I googled it.  I did find a recipe for Don't Ask, Don't Tell cookies at Jennie's Recipes.  I followed the recipe exactly and ended up with some nice cookies.

The cookies taste a lot like muffin tops, which is good in my opinion.  You really can't taste the sauerkraut and the cookies only have a little bit of zip.  I think I would use just a bit more sauerkraut next time.  Also, I did a half batch and got a ton of cookies.
Raw . . .

and cooked!

I also perfected my daifuku recipe and diafuku making skills.  First, lets go through the fillings!  For the peanut butter daifuku put teaspoon sized balls on a cookie try or a mini muffin pan and freeze it.  For coconut filling take 1 cup of coconut, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 1 tbs flour, and 1/2 cup of water in a sauce pan and mixing it over medium heat until thick (it is important that it isn't runny at all).  Freeze in balls like the peanut butter.  Make sure to freeze for at least an hour.
coconut ready to be frozen

Peanut butter ready to be frozen!
Make the daifuku!  I find the microwave mochi makes the best daifuku.  Take 1 cup mochiko flour, 1/4 cup sugar, and 1 cup water and mix in microwave safe bowl.  Cover with plastic wrap.  Microwave 2 minutes.  Stir. Microwave 1 minute.  If it puffs up and then settles its done.  If not microwave 1 more minute.  No more than 4 minutes.  It will make 12 daifuku.  Let the mochi cool a bit . . . just enough so you can stand it.  Spray hands with PAM . . . or flour hands with cornstarch.  Pinch a small glob off and spread it out on a plastic/silicone cutting board.  Make it into a small round and put one frozen filling in the middle.  Pinch the the mochi shut.  Roll the sticky surface in cornstarch or a fun topping.  I used coconut for the coconut ones and sesame seeds for the peanut butter.  Just put some in a bowl and roll it around.  Drop them into a cupcake wrapper. 
squished out round

frozen filling in the middle

Coconut in cups

Peanut butter in cups
This is mine made up of extra bits (so both peanut butte and coconut). Yummy!

I sampled everything and it all turned out really really well!

No comments:

Post a Comment