Monday, March 14, 2011

Book Challenge: Small Gods

I've finished another book for my Book Challenge. This is for the Whats in a Name Challenge, specifically the Size challenge.  I read Terry Pratchett's Small Gods.  The thing about Terry Pratchett novels is that I always forget how much I like them . . . and I like them tons.  They are all just so smart and funny (okay not Moving Pictures - but no one is perfect).

Small Gods has a more detailed and consistent story than many Discworld novels. In fact, this is what put me off the book when I first went to buy it.  But, I decided to give it a go.  Which was a good choice as it was great.  This is the story of the Great God Om and his believer Brutha.  Om is in a bit of a jam and needs Brutha's help, which is very embarrassing for a God.


 And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

The book follows their adventure as Om tries to get back on top and Brutha slowly begins to realize that maybe religion and power could be used to help people.  That summary makes it all seem much to serious and dull.  Its not.  Its a funny critic of religion and hierarchy in general really . . . and philosophers.  The Omian church is kind of an old school Catholic deal with lots of pomp and an Inquisition (think the middle ages not the beginning beginning).

VI. This is Religion, Boy.  Not Comparison Bloody Shopping!  You Shall Not Subject Your God to market Forces!

I really enjoyed this book as I thought I would.  If your a bit sensitive about religion . . . or philosophy you may not want to read it.  Its a stand alone book so you don't have to have read any other Terry Pratchett books . . . there are a couple of inside jokes, but not so many as to make you feel like the unpopular kid at the lunch table.

1 comment: