Saturday, March 19, 2011

Book Challenge Update: Kafka On the Shore

I finished another book for my book challenge.  Kafka On the Shore by Haruki Murakami.  Its for my One, Two, Theme Challenge.  Its my fiction book for my Japanese pop culture section. I had never before read anything by Haruki Murakami . . . I heard he wrote good books though.  I picked Kafka . . . I'm not sure why.  I liked the title I guess.

After reading the book, I am still not sure if I liked the book.  I did enjoy reading the book, though.  You might wonder how those two things could co-exist.  Well you see the writing was very compelling.  By that I mean the style and the actual prose.  It just read nicely.  However, I'm not so sure about the story.  It was interesting.  I wondered what was going to happen.  But, the characters realities may have been a touch to surreal for me.  There wasn't enough people acting the way people should act.  I also had a hard time getting attached to the characters.  I was simply a voyeur watching what was happening to them.  I do mean watch.  I felt like I could see a lot of the book.  Part of why it is enjoyable to read.  I did enjoy the Nakata story line a lot.

In the end, its an interesting read.  I'm just not sure if I got what I was suppose to out of it, nor do I know if I'd say I really liked the story.  It made me think though and was a bit intriguing.  I will note that its a bit graphic, if your not up for that it is not for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment