Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Spicy Tofu and Buckwheat Noodles Recipe

I've been sitting on a package of Northern Style Tofu (my favorite kind) and I really wanted to do something with it.  I also had some fresh Korean Buckwheat noodles from making Jjajangmyun.  As I had the Korean noodles I decided to do a Korean inspired recipe.  Spicy Tofu and Buckwheat Noodles was born.

Ingredients-
1 large package Tofu (firm)
Some veggie oil
1/2 cup corn
1 small onion
3 cloves of garlic
3 tbs vinegar (I used season sushi vinegar)
3 tbs soy sauce
1/4 cup hot water
1 tsp cornstarch
1 tbs red pepper paste (this will make is super spicy . . . if you don't like that add less . . . )

First, cut up your tofu and vegetables.  I also cut my tofu into awesome flowers using a very small cookie cutter (I cooked all the tofu though, none goes to waste).  Fry up the tofu in some veggie oil.  It will take a bit, but make sure its good and golden brown.  That makes it taste better.  Then add the chopped onion and garlic and the corn.  I used frozen.  Stir fry everything until the onion is transparent.  While that is cooking up make up the sauce and start the water to boil for the noodles.  For the sauce mix the vinegar, soy sauce, hot water, corn starch, and red pepper paste.  Add the sauce to the tofu and cook for about 5 minutes until its nice and thick.  Hopefully your water boiled and you got to cook your noodles (they need 3 minutes).  Put some noodles and tofu in a bowl and enjoy.
Tofu hanging out in veggie oil . . .

Look flowers . . .

Tofu, corn, and onion . . .

Sauce all mixed up . . .

Cook down the sauce . . .

A bowl full of wonderful!

It turned out fantastic.  I'm totally going to make it again.  Its spicy and just a bit sweet.  Next time I may use a different vegetable or something to mix it up a bit.  Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment