Saturday, March 26, 2011

Tim Hortons As Canadian as Tim Hortons

If your not from Canada, you've most likely never heard of Tim Hortons.  If your a non-Canadian in Canada a Canadian will eventual ask you how often you go when your in the States.  When you reply we don't have Tim Hortons, they will recoil from you in horror. Egad, what do you do for donuts and coffee? There are a multitude of responses to this all of which will earn you a despondent head shake and a your country must be very barren
No Tim Hortons as far as the eye can see . . .

Now, I bring this up for a specific reason.  I went in to the City Centre Mall today to get my hair done at 9:30 am . . . today is Saturday and the mall shops don't open until 10:00am.  Starbucks has 5 or so people as did all the assorted cafes on my way up to the 2nd floor.  I was a bit early as my appointment was at 10 so I decided to search for chairs (all had been removed . . . no resting in the city Centre mall).  Then I got to the Tim Hortons, with its line of 25 people.  Yes, 25.  I wasted 20 minutes and walked back past Time Hortons . . . still 25 people in line.
They all look like this, more or less . . .

Tim Hortons always has a line.  Its worse than the Starbucks epidemic in the US. Why is it so popular you ask.  Good Question.   Time Hortons was founded by Tim Horton.  I know he was very original in the naming department.  Tim is a professional hockey player. I know you kind of get why they love it already right.  He is a very good hockey player who new that eventual he'd need a different income and I guess he liked donuts.  The legend goes, and this is why the Canadians feel the Tim Hortons is a necessity, that he started his donut and coffee business so that all the Moms (and Dads too presumably) who had to get up at crazy in the morning to bring their children in for open rink time to hone their hockey skills would be as perky and alert as possible.  Its a good story right. Its sweet like Canadians.
The Canadian Maple = best donuts in the world

*(For Tim Hortons in the US you can go to Kentucky, Indiana, Maine, Michigan, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia and West Virginia.  Note - Tim Hortons only in a few actual cities.)

No comments:

Post a Comment