Sunday, June 12, 2011

Baked Catfish and Summer Salads

It was another beautiful day here and I was in the mood for another summer salad.  I paired it with some baked catfish and a light macaroni salad.  Yesterday I picked up some nice veggies at the Downtown Farmers Market, so I was all set to go.

First, I got my fish ready to go and set it baking.  I just defrosted (mostly) my catfish and then covered it with a self-created marinate.  I used about 1tbs olive oil, 1 tsp thyme, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, and a sprinkle of salt.  Baked at 400F for 20 minutes. I also put my water on to boil for my macaroni salad.
Aren't they cute!

Next, I cut up my veggies for the summer salad.  Mine was fresh farmer's market English cucumber, zebra tomatoes, and black olives with a light sesame dressing.  The zebra tomatoes I have are actually a black zebra tomato (green and deep red).  They are rather unbelievably delicious.  I wouldn't want to do too much to them.  A light dressing like this or just salt.  They are that good.  I believe they are an heirloom variety.  The more heirloom veggies I eat from farmer's markets etc, the more I can't believe we eat anything else.  I'm not much for gardening (I can do it, I just prefer not to . . .), but I am considering it to have lots and lots of black zebra tomatoes. 
Now that's a summer salad!

I made a light dressing for the macaroni as well.  Just a bit of light mayo and hot mustard.  Maybe 1 tbs for the whole serving.  Since my catfish was spicy I wanted to be able to cool it down and make sure I wasn't blowing out my taste buds with the heat.
Ninjas like balanced meals!

In the end it was a very delicious meal. Another great success.

5 comments:

  1. I've never tried catfish. Glad the ninjas liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous meal -- that salad looks wonderful and says "summer." Oh and I love heirloom tomatoes. I'm not sure I've had zebra tomatoes but the taste of garden fresh tomatoes is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Louise you should try catfish. I love it. A bit denser than other fish.

    @Beth F I would recommend the black zebra tomatoes, particularly if you really like tomatoes

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to try planting those tomatoes! The ninjas are precious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've not seen them in a grocery store, but if you can find them you should try them.

    ReplyDelete